Adopting a trained dog from The Prison Trained K-9 Companion Program (PTKCP) is a privilege and requires a commitment from the adopter to follow instructions and utilize the support provided to facilitate a successful transition into your home. If you ever have any questions or need assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are committed to making sure this is the best possible match for adoptive families and our dogs.
Please remember that all adopted dogs will require a period of adjustment (at least 2 weeks) in their new home. It is very important that you take advantage of all the resources provided. Failure to do so will nullify this agreement.
Dogs adopted from our program qualify for a refund under the following conditions:
- Adopter completes ALL transition requirements noted below:
- attend the Go Home Class or alternative
- view “Going Home” DVD or video(s)
- study the “Go Home Instructions” and materials in your Go Home Packet
- utilize FREE instructor consultation via phone/text/email
- If you have completed all transition requirements for your adopted dog, it is still not a good match for your situation and the dog still meets criteria for admittance into the program* you may return the dog within 2 weeks of the date of adoption for a full refund. All program paperwork (especially training journals) must be retained and returned with the dog. (NOTE: please allow 8-10 weeks for processing)
- Any refund or exchange for a replacement dog within 60 days of adoption will be at the sole discretion of the PTKCP management, depending on the circumstances. *
- No refunds will be given after 60 days of the Go Home date but the dog may be returned to the program if s/he still meets criteria for admittance into the program*
*Our program cannot accept a dog that has bitten and broken the skin of a human or other animal without reasonable provocation. All core vaccinations and Bordatella must be up to date. Other restrictions may apply for acceptance…